Bruce R. Saran, MD
Dr. Bruce Saran's area of expertise encompasses a wide range of vitreoretinal conditions – he diagnoses, manages, and treats diabetic retinopathy, macular degeneration, retinal tears and detachments, macular holes and puckers, and uveitis. At Chester County Eye Care, Dr. Saran uses advanced diagnostic techniques to provide the best patient care including fluorescein angiography and digital fundus imaging.
Dr. Saran's involvement in research and clinical drug applications has greatly benefitted the subject of vitreoretinal disease. He regularly contributes to clinical drug trials, assists in drug applications, holds lectures on the field's progress to residents and fellows in training, practicing retinal surgeons and ophthalmologists, and provides updates for patients in the Chester County community and tristate area.
During his career, Dr. Saran has worked abroad and been heavily involved in charity work – as such, his breadth of scope reaches beyond that of eye care in the greater Philadelphia area. In addition to consulting for international retinal pharmaceutical organizations, Dr. Saran was a guest surgeon at the Aravind Eye Institute in India and is also a supporter of the Arava Institute for Environmental Studies. The Arava Institute is an academic studies and research program that encourages global cooperation towards environmental sustainability and draws students from all over the world.
- Bachelor's Degree from University of Rochester
- Doctor of Medicine Degree from the State University of New York
- Ophthalmology Residency at the University of Illinois at Chicago Eye and Ear Center
- Fellowship in Retina and Vitreous Disease at the Scheie Eye Institute of the University of Pennsylvania
Positions & Distinctions
- Attending Surgeon at Chester County Hospital
- Clinical Adjunct Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology at the University of Pennsylvania Medical School
- Advisory Board, Gene Therapy for Macular Degeneration, F.M. Kirby Center for Molecular Ophthalmology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
- “Top Doctor” in Philadelphia magazine
- “Top Doctor” in Main Line Today magazine
- “Top Ophthalmologist in Pennsylvania” by Health Tap
- “Top Physician” in Suburban Life Magazine
- Elected “Best Senior Resident” UIC Eye Center, Chicago
- Research Prize Award, Top prize, School of Medicine, State University of New York at Buffalo
- deKiewet Research Fellow, Biochemisty, University of Rochester
- Kiedeans, Senior Honor Society, University of Rochester