Cristan M. Arena, MD
Dr. Cristan Arena is an expert ophthalmologist at our Chester County Eye Care locations where she specializes in the treatment of patients with glaucoma and cataracts, from medical management to advanced surgical procedures. Trabeculectomy, iStent® Trabecular Micro-Bypass, and tube shunt surgery are examples of the advanced surgical techniques she utilizes in her practice.
At the beginning of her education, Dr. Arena attended Franklin and Marshall College where she graduated magna cum laude, which was followed by her Doctor of Medicine degree from the University of Maryland School of Medicine with cum laude honors. After these two achievements, she went on to complete her education with a glaucoma fellowship at the University of South Florida.
In addition to patient care, Dr. Arena has been heavily involved in research – she has been one of the Institutional Investigators in a University of Pennsylvania Study to Detect Genes in African Americans (POAAGG), as well as a participant in a study on the Effects of Selective Laser Trabeculoplasty on Intraocular Pressure. Her research work has also been featured in the 5th Edition of Chandler & Grant's Glaucoma book where she authored a piece on Laser Peripheral Iridoplasty.
- Bachelor's Degree from Franklin and Marshall College
- Doctor of Medicine Degree from University of Maryland School of Medicine
- Internship in Preliminary Medicine at The Reading Hospital and Medical Center
- Ophthalmology Residency at Temple University Hospital
- Glaucoma Fellowship at University of South Florida
Positions & Distinctions
- Attending Surgeon at Chester County Hospital
- Member of American Glaucoma Society
- Member of American Academy of Ophthalmology
- George Frick Award for Excellence in Ophthalmology
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society
- Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society