Leonard B. Nelson, MD
Leonard Nelson, MD, received his bachelor's degree in Biology from Columbia University and his Doctor of Medicine degree from Harvard Medical School. He completed an Internship of General Surgery through the Harvard Surgical Service at New England Deaconess Hospital, and a residency in ophthalmology at New York University’s Bellevue Hospital Center. He then completed a Fellowship in Pediatric Ophthalmology at the Children's Hospital National Medical Center of George Washington University and then another Fellowship in Ocular Genetics at the Wilmer Eye Institute of Johns Hopkins University. In addition, Dr. Nelson earned his M.B.A. at Saint Joseph's University.
Dr. Nelson is currently an Associate Professor of Ophthalmology and Pediatrics at Jefferson Medical College and an Attending Surgeon at Wills Eye Hospital. He holds the position of Director of the Wills Eye Strabismus Center and the Co-Director of the Pediatric Ophthalmology and Ocular Genetics Department at the Wills Eye Hospital. As a frequent contributor to medical literature, Dr. Nelson serves as the co-editor of the Journal of Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus and has authored over 275 publications and 15 textbooks in pediatric ophthalmology. He was also named as a Top Doctor in Ophthalmology for the past 9 years in Philadelphia Magazine and Best Doctors in the US.
- Bachelor of Arts Degree from Columbia University
- Doctor of Medicine Degree from Harvard Medical School
- Internship in General Surgery at the Harvard Surgical Service, New England Deaconess Hospital
- Ophthalmology Residency at New York University
- Pediatric Ophthalmology Fellowship at The Children’s Hospital National Medical Center of George Washington University
- Ocular Genetics Fellowship at Wilmer Eye Institute of Johns Hopkins University
Positions & Distinctions
- Director of the Wills Eye Strabismus Center
- Co-Director of The Pediatric Ophthalmology and Ocular Genetics Department at Wills Eye Hospital
- Co-editor of the Journal of Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus
- Philadelphia Magazine Top Doctor, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018