Robert B. Penne, MD
Dr. Penne grew up in North Dakota/Minnesota and attended college at North Dakota State University where he graduated first in his class. He then attended medical school at the University of Minnesota where he was junior AOA, completed his internship at Hennepin County Medical Center, and did his ophthalmology residency at Wills Eye Hospital. After residency, he did a fellowship in Neuro-orbital disease followed by a fellowship in Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, at Wills Eye Hospital.
Dr. Penne has been in practice since 1990. He is an Attending Surgeon at Wills Eye Institute and is the director of the Ophthalmic Plastic Surgery Department. He is also co-director of the Ocular Cicatricial Pemphigoid Clinic at Wills Eye Hospital. Dr. Penne has authored numerous scientific papers, books and book chapters.
Dr. Penne is board-certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology, is a member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, the American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, the Pennsylvania Medical Society, and the Pennsylvania Academy of Ophthalmology. Locally he is past president of the Ophthalmic Club and belongs to the Greater Philadelphia Ophthalmic Society.
- Bachelor’s Degree from North Dakota State University
- Doctor of Medicine Degree from the University of Minnesota
- Internship at Hennepin County Medical Center
- Ophthalmology Residency at Wills Eye Hospital
- Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Fellowship at Wills Eye Hospital
Positions & Distinctions
- Attending surgeon at Wills Eye Hospital
- Clinical Professor in Ophthalmology at Thomas Jefferson University
- Director of the Ophthalmic Plastic Surgery Department at Wills Eye Hospital
- Member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology